Saturday, February 15, 2014

Woody's Bar And Grill



 
Woody's Bar And Grill
Foregate Street, Chester. UK


So, I'm thinking to myself 2 weeks back "it's Superbowl Sunday soon, I think I need a good old American food fest to kick off my night", and following many a review and picture on Twitter, plus a passing glance at the place, I figured Woody's would be the ideal place to satisfy the need. 


Woody's states "American eating and drinking at its best" and based on reviews, they seem to be living up to the claim. A quick flip online shows a succinct but varied menu, focusing on all that's good about American dining when you think about it - burgers, hot dogs, wings and ribs. I peruse the menu and see "bacon", "BBQ sauce", "fried onions", jalapeños" and I know I'm going to be stuck for choice. 


So, Sunday comes around and Woody's makes it plain to all on Twitter they'll be open late for deliveries, so we call at 6.30 to order and get told it wouldn't be delivered until 9.30. Honest response and we figured "Wow, they must be popular!", so we whack in an order for two Woody's Whopper burgers (beer battered onion rings, fried onions, smoked bacon with BBQ sauce and Monterey Jack cheese), two portions of skin on chips (chips, not fries! We like them chunky here) and an Oreo milkshake and agreed to pick up 40 mins later. 

LONGEST. 40. MINS. EVER. I was ravenous.. 

So, I head into the shop, it's got wooden walls, with various American number plates up, high counter tables and a very warm atmosphere. Head to the counter and bless the guy, he's clearly busy, the kitchen staff are moving so quick they look like their arms have become disconnected from their bodies! I wait until the guy was finished, picked my order up and headed home. A visit to sit in and dine here would be most welcome, it's a dinky diner but it's really nice inside (so get on it, locals!) 


The Oreo milkshake didn't last the trip home. Why? Because I had a sip as I walked back to the car and I almost tipped the whole thing into my face. Packed with Oreo flavour, thick, creamy and absolutely delicious. Regret giving my mum a taste as she kept asking for a bit more!! So, big tick on the drinks. Be aware they do a great drinks selection, both alcoholic and soft from root beer to Brewdog to cream soda to wine. It's rare such an establishment offers such a range in house as well as for delivery. Plus they do Rekorderlig which is the beeeest! 

Anyway, where was I? Yes! I get home, get the burger and chips out and wow, the smell! It was a lovely, warm, smoky smell that came from the food we'd got and boy it didn't disappoint. 

The chips first of all - not your regular US skin on fries which are thin and crispy with a tendency to have a bit too much salt. Nooo, these were chunky skin on chips, made perfectly, not very crispy but the flavour was great, a really nice, almost baked potato flavour. Fluffy centres as well, which us Brits love from our chips! I didn't season them so I could taste them as is but know next time, I would salt slightly to heighten the flavour. Definitely an excellent side for the burger, and given the remaining choices on the menu for sides? A plethora of things to try next time. 


Now the burger - wowza it was good. Super onion flavour with the onion rings and the fried onions but it wasn't overpowering, as is so often the case when you have a lot of onion on your food but this was nice and sweet. The cheese was tangy, not claggy, nicely melted and just right, the bacon was a nice salty sting as you ate, it wasn't too thick or too crumbly. I actually quite like chewy bacon and it was nicely cooked to that consistency.. The burger patty itself was well cooked, perfectly juicy and a nice mild beef flavour which wasn't overshadowed by the toppings. The BBQ sauce was superbly smoky bringing all the flavours together. Nothing overpowered anything even though the burger was a subtle flavour. Also - thank god for the bun! So often you get burgers where the bun soaks up the juice and falls to bits but this was nice and tight, held the juice and sauce, and was a sweet flavour. 


Top notch all around and definitely somewhere I'll be visiting again. Total for the two burgers, two portions of chips and milkshake was £16.65. They've not been open long in Chester and it's a nicely unique place with a great interior, so get down there and get a visit in. My mouth is watering just thinking about it, so yours should be, too!! 

-----

Tiffany


1 comment:

  1. Wow, this place looks awesome, I love little hole in the wall places that do the best they can with what they've got, and make sure the food is the real star. I gotta tell you, that shake looks to die for, and that burger looks just amazing, is it ground beef or pre-done patties? I know thats nitpicky but they make a difference to me. And i LOVE those fries, oh sorry, "chips" as you call them. Nothing beats a skin on crispy thick cut.. nothing at all. I would love to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete