Saturday, February 15, 2014

Harvest Moon Café

 

Harvest Moon Café
Northgate Street, Chester UK

Ah Harvest Moon, I love this place. I come here quite a bit now to meet a couple of friends and I'm never let down. It's a small café right in the heart of Chester, opposite the Town Hall and library and so easy to get to from the bus station. 

 

They promote themselves as Bavarian and American Coffee house and they don't disappoint. A warm atmosphere as you enter with a few old dark wooden tables, large wooden counter displaying the beautiful homemade cakes in glass cloches and quirky art, books and pictures on the walls. 

The menu is simple as you can see from the picture and I swear one day I'll have a Reuben because it looks absolutely lush! 


I sat at the long bench table at the back which is lovely and out of the way, well lit and very comfortable. I'd ordered myself my usual, a hot chocolate with cream and a hunk of whatever delicious cake took my fancy - it was chocolate that day so a total cocoa overload, like I'm going to complain! 

We waited for just a few minutes and the order turned up. My hot chocolate was so thick I could almost stand my spoon up in it! Dusted with cocoa on top, a choccie lover's delight. It's a very warm and rich hot chocolate, a nice amount so you don't feel over faced when you've finished it. There's a disappointing amount of places (let me be clear, they're chain coffee shops!) that just think a brown cup of nothing constitutes hot chocolate and covering it in fake cream and plastic marshmallows fixes it. Thankfully, that's not the case here! 


The chocolate cake was a total delight! Dark, super rich and super moist and the buttercream had a touch of coffee flavour in it to cut through the chocolate and it was lovely and smooth. All with the obligatory squirt of cream on the side which is always a bit of fun. 

I then had a pot of Assam tea to wash all that chocolate down and as per usual that was lovely, too. 

At the risk of never getting a table again, I'd highly recommend Harvest Moon to anyone and everyone local. The staff are really friendly, the atmosphere is comfortable, relaxed and familiar and you can totally lose a lot of hours in this place! My cake, hot chocolate and pot of tea came to a total of £8. Bargain! Get your butts down here! Especially now they've just started being open 7 days a week. There really is no excuse. 


-----

Tiffany


1 comment:

  1. this place sounds really nice, i love small little places like this, they give you a nice local feel, like a welcoming hug to a town or something if that makes sense, its always magical when you get that sort of feeling, and also get food and drink worth going for. plus the design looks epic as well. i can see it being busy on the mid day on the weekend with people taking a break from being out and about Looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete